Some BMW Marine Engine Workshop Service Manuals & Parts Catalogs PDF are above the page.
BMW's interest in marine engines dates back to 1913. They began building marine engines in 1919 after WW1.
In the early 1970s, marine versions of the BMW 2.0-liter and 4-cylinder petrol engine were marketed as 410 and 411 models. In 1977, BMW AG established a separate marine segment, incorporated as BMW Marine GmbH. The BMW Marine headquarters and assembly plant are located in Verviers, Belgium.
BMW Marine has continued to modify BMW's production engines for the sea. The 2.0-liter, four-cylinder M10 engine became the B 130, and the six-cylinder M30 engines in the 2.8 and 3.3-liter variants became the B 190 and B 220 models. Later, the largest 3.5-liter M30 with electronic ignition became the B 635. models related to engine horsepower.
To further compete with the Volvo Penta, BMW added small sailboat diesel engines, ranging from 7 to 50 hp, in the BMW Marine range.
The engines were based on four air-cooled diesel engines manufactured by Hatz and then modified for the sea by BMW Marine. Hurth Marine transmissions and dashboards were added and the resulting marine systems were marketed as D 7, D 12, D 35 and D 50 engines. The engines were among the first on the market to offer spindle balancing technology, which made a smooth running of the engine.
Mercury continued production of the BMW five-cylinder and six-cylinder diesel engines. The BMW D 530 and D 636 became the Mercruiser 530 D-TA and 636 D-TA. Mercury later changed its names to D183 and D219 TURBO AC.
Later, BMW Marine modified the two larger models to reduce the damage caused by seawater cooling.